The General preferences options allow the user to configure general application settings, as well as the visual aspects of the application.
These are configurable options pertaining to the applications functionality.
Device control layout
These settings controls disk bay layout behavior in main Disk Explorer View
- Device signaling delay, sec
- When a process finishes, KillDisk displays a message, overlaying the disk. In the disk bays view This setting configures the
delay of this notification when the process finishes.
- Show removable devices in separate row
- All removable devices will be shown in separate row (column) regardless of disk bay mapping.
- Hide system disk
- Hides the disk used by the operating system from the KillDisk application.
- Default Serial Number detection method
- Select how KillDisk retrieves the disk serial number
- Local devices initialization
- Select which types of devices appear in KillDisk for examination and erasure
Application log file settings
These settings apply to the log file automatically generated by the application. Not to be confused with the erasure report or
certificate. All operations performed in a KillDisk session will be saved in this log.
- Log file location
- Allows the user to specify where the application log file is saved. By default, this is set to KillDisk's root directory.
- Initialize application log when application starts
- This setting configures whether KillDisk generates a new log file for every session (erasing the log of the
previous session), or appends new sessions to one log file.
These are configurable options pertaining to the applications user interface and user experience.
- Use sound notifications
- Toggles sound tones being used for notifying the user of the completion of a task, errors and notification during an
- Show notification dialog after process complete
- Process complete dialog will be shown at the end of single or multiple disk processing, letting user print certificate, erase
- Application style
- Configures the colour scheme used in the application
- Toolbar style
- Configures how icons are shown in the toolbar (shown below).
Figure: Small icons no text
Figure: Large icons no text
Figure: Large icons with text
- Default help source
- If available, user can select help documentation source to be addressed when requested
Configure actions performed while application is running
- Automatically check for software updates
- If this option set, application will check for a new updates during start.
- Action after all processes complete
- Select either no action or hibernate or shutdown system after all processes finished.
will have 30 seconds to abort system hibernation or shutdown.